Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Collage Creation

It's Thursday night, so I must be somewhere taking a class. :)

Tonight, I'll be at C1 Art Space (Queen and Ossington), enjoying week 3 of 4 sessions on collaging and mixed media. So I thought I'd share this collage I made the other night, which is the result of our first week of instruction. I call it "Looking Within".

During the first class, our instructor Sandra had demonstrated putting pictures behind cut out images. I found myself with the yellow piece in the centre, which looks (at least to me) a bit like a spider web, wanting to put the eyes peeking out from behind it. I found another set of eyes and then a third and the words "look" and "vision". The theme of self-examination just sort of grew from there. Mostly because of the text I used, which are various quotes on the topic. I have a book of quotations and looked for entries on "seeing" or "vision" but "self-examination" was the closest thing I could find. For example, the one shown in the closeup photo says "Observe thyself as thy greatest enemy would do, so shalt thou be thy greatest friend." (Jeremy Taylor)

No comments: