Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Night Baking

I am spending a rare Friday night baking.

I must admit, this is not something I normally do on any other day of the week either.  If I baked it, I'd want to eat it and I'd end up even larger than my current proportions so...I usually don't.  But now and again, it does happen.  Christmastime, for sure.  And here in July, as tomorrow is our annual family picnic and I've been asked to bring a dessert.  But it's been a busy week and I'm a bit behind schedule, so I've opted for a "just add water, eggs and butter" mix for lemon squares.  It's the President Choice mix, from Loblaws.

I've made this before and to me, it tastes just as good as the made-from-scratch variety, so I'm going with it.  Although I forgot that last time I made these (was it at Christmas for these same cousins? will anyone remember?), I couldn't find the beaters for my electric mixer (how can they not be stored with mixer and the power cord?!).  I think that time I ended up whisking the lemon mixture.  This time around, I'm going old school:

After I cut the butter into the flour mixture with this:

If I have enough energy, I'll whip up some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies when the lemon squares are done, using my favourite just-add-water-and-chocolate chips mix made by the good people at Quaker.

And yes, for those who are wondering and/or may have noticed in the top photo, I did have to clear my art supplies off the counter and the stove top so I could do this!! ;)


No comments: