Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Busy Week

I'm having a quiet day at home today, reflecting on everything that happened this past week - it has been a very busy and unusually eventful seven days.

Last Saturday, my sister and I stopped to check out an auction on the way to the cottage and ended up spending the entire day there.  It was a very hot, sunny day - luckily there was lots of shade on the property of the house where the auction was being held.  They started in the front yard, moved down the side of the house and eventually to the various tables set up in the backyard.

We ended up buying a whole bunch of stuff for very little money.  Several boxes of office supplies for a dollar or two a piece or a group.  By the end of the day, they were practically giving things away, which was good, because I had waited all day just to buy the paper cutter you can see on the table in the photo below.  Ironically, I had to pay $12.50 to get it (!!) but it was worth it.  I also got that typewriter ($5) and the green file box and a laserjet printer (only $5! Luckily it already has a toner cartridge, because apparently they retail for $200!!).


My big purchase - totally unexpected and partly one of those getting caught up in the fun of bidding in a live auction - was this flat screen TV, which came with a DVD player and stand (which we ended up leaving behind, mostly because we didn't have room in my car for it!). My 27 inch dinosaur of a TV is ready to be put out to pasture, although it has served me well these past 30 years or so!

Monday was the big storm, which brought with it power outages and flooding (see earlier posts).

Tuesday and Wednesday were spent trying to get things back to normal across the city and in my own little world. Luckily for me, I had only minor stuff to sort out (the usual stuff like resetting clocks once the power came back on and the not so usual chasing after Ma Bell to find out when my phone line was going to be back in service), unlike those who have spent the last few days mucking out their flooded basements.  Everywhere you go at the moment, the curbs of the side streets are piled high with the soggy, water-stained remnants of furniture, mattresses, drywall and rolled up pieces of carpet that people have left out for the garbage collectors to pick up.  I must admit, it's rather interesting to see what people store in their basements but also sad to see the waste.

Thursday afternoon, we had our company's summer event, which was held downtown at the Steamwhistle brewery

in the shadow of the CN Tower.

When it was over, I got my haircut and had time to do a little shopping before heading to the Eagles concert that evening.  I've seen them twice before but that didn't stop me from enjoying every single minute of this one.

In between was work and travelling back and forth to various destinations and looking after kittens and trying to keep my apartment from getting completely out of control and running errands and all the little things that one does in an average week.  No wonder I'm tired today!

No comments: