Thursday, July 4, 2013

Celebrating the 4th of July

Apparently we celebrate the 4th of July here in Canada by opening a liquor store.  At least, that's what we did in my neighbourhood.

We all got postcards in the mail to tell us of the opening and to invite the first 500 of us to come by to pick up a free shopping bag.

Believe it or not, when I looked out my window this morning at 8:30 a.m., there was a woman in line already! In the rain!  Waiting for the 10 a.m. opening!  For a $1.00 shopping bag! Maybe she thought there would be free liquor in the bag?!

I dropped in tonight at 6 p.m. (I was out for my evening walk anyway) and was told the bags were all gone.

The weird thing was that even though the store is brand new, it already has that liquor store smell.  Do you know that smell?

I can't quite figure out what cute puppies in little buckets have to do with consuming liquor but this is one of the banners they have hanging on the outside of the store.

They've been busy building since way back in December.

Personally, I'm glad the store is finally open as it means the construction crews have all gone away and won't be working at 10 p.m. on a weeknight or 7 a.m. on Sunday morning any more.   That's not what I call a good neighbour!

No comments: