Saturday, March 16, 2013

Singing in the Car

The Scintilla Project - Day 3: Talk about a time when you were driving and you sang in the car, all alone. Why do you remember this song and that stretch of road?

I sing in the car all the time when I'm alone but the best memory I have about singing in the car is a drive from Toronto to Kingston that I took several years ago with the husband of one of my best friends from high school.  I can't remember the exact year, we would have been in our late twenties or early 30's, before they had kids.  She had gone back to school in Kingston and I was going to visit her for the weekend, catching a ride with her husband.  I'd known him since she started dating him in high school and we always got along quite well but I don't think we had ever actually spent any time alone together, let alone in the close confines of a long car trip.
Photo from justdrivethere.com
It was awkward at first but over the course of next three hours, we both started to relax as we chatted about lots of things (none of which I can remember all these years later).  At some point, we started singing along to whatever the music was coming from the radio.  Or maybe it was a cassette tape we were listening to, I don't even remember what music it was.  All I remember is both of us singing along, no holds barred, and how much I enjoyed having someone to sing along with in the car.

That was many years ago and I'm still looking to find a guy of my own to sing with in the car but that doesn't stop me from singing along by myself whenever I'm driving. 

No comments: