Monday, November 14, 2011

A Vintage Theme

I headed off to the November meeting of the Journal Junkies at Bizzy B tonight.  Our theme for this month was "vintage".  Seeing as how I will be turning 50 in just two short weeks, I thought it only appropriate to make myself the focus of this journal page.  Here's how it turned out:

Believe it or not, I actually started this page last year on my 49th birthday but only got the borders and central image done, no writing.  Shortly after that, my beloved cat Max passed away and I didn't have the heart to finish this page. Somehow, it was connected to him in my mind, perhaps because he had kept me company while I was putting it together, sitting nearby purring away as he often did.  But in the last week or two, I've felt like it was time to finish it and the vintage theme seemed most appropriate.  Some journal pages are like that, they aren't finished in one sitting.  That's the beauty of journaling, there's no deadlines, no "have to get it done".  Each page tells its own story and the tale is finished only when the page decides it is time it was told.  Somehow, you know in your gut when that time is, as I did with this page.

So it surprised me to realize, after I had written, "Now I just need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up", that there was a little picture of a cowgirl in the bottom right corner.  Talk about serendipity, who doesn't want to be a cowgirl??!

2 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

I can't believe it's been almost a year since you lost Max. Time rockets along, doesn't it? Doing the fostering has been a real gift you've given, not only in his honor, and not only to the cats and kittens you've given refuge to, but for me- it's filled me with happiness.

Isn't that odd, how the things we do affect others? Some things have such a ripple effect.

You are a wonderful almost-50, and I hope you enjoy your birthday. What's the plan?

Taylor schapiro said...

Like your vintage page. Yes, you can be a cowgirl if that is what you want. Do you know how to ride a horse?