Friday, February 11, 2011

KittenZ!!!

I haven't had a kitten in my home for about 18 years now, since I first brought Carly home. It's funny how you forget and then quickly remember how inquisitive they are, bold one minute and skittish and easily spooked the next, friendly and yet aggressive in a teeny, tiny adorable way.  Oh my, these little darlings are sooo sweet!

I picked them up around noon and brought them back to my place.  I have them tucked into my walk-in closet at the moment and they seem to be enjoying it.  The kittens couldn't wait to get out of the cat carriers and explore every nook and cranny that they can reach.  Next thing I know, the blanket on top of the wicker chest is on the floor, the water bowl has spilled and has litter in it, one cat has climbed up to the top of the shoe shelves and another is dangling off the bottom of a long shirt because its claw is stuck in the fabric. Yikes! 

These kittenz are smart.  They have already learned that the litter box is not just the bathroom, it's a toy - jump in, dig around, jump out.  Wait, can I fit into this oh so narrow opening? Yes, I can. Oh, I forgot, I want to go over here instead but there's a water bowl in the way - why go around when I can climb through it? Oops, that spilled. But, hmm, while I'm here, I'm thirsty.  Oh good, you brought more food, I'm starving!  Hey, look, I can do a somersault.  Can I eat your tail?

It's hilarious to watch them play.  They have such short attention spans sometimes and other times, they are totally focused on what they're doing.  I sit in the doorway and every few minutes, one or the other will try to climb over me and out into the bedroom, ready to explore new horizons.

As I type this, I am sitting at my desk on the other side of the closet wall.  For a while after my last visit, there were all sorts of scrambling noises to be heard, nails on the walls, things banging around.  But now, all is quiet.  I assume they are sleeping.  I'd like to peek at what they're doing but last time I did that, I woke up all but one of them, who then proceeded to rough and tumble over, around, beside and on top of the one left sleeping.
Poor little mom (and she is tiny) has remained in the cat carrier so far.  I'll let her get used to being here and learn to trust me.  No doubt she will come out in her own time, when she feels safe.  It's cute how the kittens take turns going in and out to say hello to her. I am thinking of the mom cat as Katrina. She's a little bit like New Orleans - she's been through an ordeal and needs some time to heal and be safe.

The vet's assistant told me there are 3 girls and 2 boys.  The black one and the one with a lighter right front paw are girls.  The other 3 look so much alike, I may never know which is which.  The black one is very adventurous and was very friendly and chatty when I first arrived and we were moving them into my cat carriers.  I think I'll call her Katie after my friend Kate who led me to these kittens, who is also the friendly and adventurous sort.  I'm thinking I might call the boys Kyle and Philly, as a tribute to those doing good cat works in Philadelphia (see yesterday's post), who also served as inspiration for me to take these kittens in. Maybe I should name one after Gabrielle Giffords, another inspirational survivor.  I like Arizona as a name too.

Sorry some of these photos are out of focus. It's hard to photograph kittenz on the move, one minute they're there, the next minute, all that's left in the frame is a peek at their tail!

9 comments:

Psychic Cottage said...

Yippy! Congratulations!They are so cute.

Jo-Ann said...

They sure are cute and it looks like they are going keep you on your toes!

Darlene said...

That was the funniest blog posting I've read in a long time! Good luck with those sweet little babies (and the scared mom). They are obviously in good hands.

dragonjools said...

from no cats to a houseful! Talk about doing nothing halfway! Bravo for you and your kitty clan!

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! They are adorable and so cuddly. Good luck with your new furry friends - hope you keep 2. My daughter adopted 2 brothers and they are so happy together.
Jeanette

kate mckinnon said...

SO CUTE!!!!

I love cats enough to make up for forty people who don't.

<3

coolmoon said...

Thanks for the update, Cynthia. This is the only way I can enjoy cats without sneezing, and I love it. Good karma will definitely be shining on you for a long time to come....

Lulu said...

Cuteness abounds! Good luck, and congratulations!

dawn said...

I love them all!!!! They are such little characters.....you are so lucky to have them.Adorable.....and entertaining.