Sunday, February 27, 2011

Doll-A-Mania - Class 1

Yesterday was Laura Haviland's first paper doll class at Bizzy B.  As you may recall, she taught a "make and take" session at the store back in January, which I blogged about here but this was the first official class.  (The next one is scheduled for April 2nd and yes, I have already reserved my spot!)

Laura provided each student with a beautifully decorated folder and envelope containing all the items we needed to make one paper doll, including instructions and a special gift from Catherine Moore of  Character Constructions, a selection of stamps from the French Laundry collection (thank you, Catherine!).
Then we practiced colouring in faces.  Here's a photo of the face I coloured, on the left (taken just before I ruined it by adding blush to the cheek.  The watercolour pencil crayons I used weren't suitable for this task and totally botched the look so now my doll face looks more like Bozo the Clown applied her makeup) with the face on the right as coloured by my neighbour Anne, who did an amazing job with the eye on her doll face:
After that exercise, we started cutting out and colouring our doll's body parts.  We all sat around the table and chatted while we worked, although from time to time, everything got really quiet while we all concentrated on what we were doing.  I love taking classes right in the store, it's great to be able to get up and purchase the exact supplies you need while you're working on a project, as compared to being at home and realizing you don't have quite the right thing to finish something.  Thanks also to Bizzy B for providing the delicious treats for us to snack on!
Here's a picture of Laura and me, and of me, Laura and Marilyn during the class:

I'm still working on putting my doll together, so you'll have to wait until later in the week to see the finished product (I bought myself some new pencil crayons at Michaels on the way home from the class but they need to be sharpened, so I can't finish colouring until I take them in to the office to use the electic sharpener.  Yes, I could do it by hand but there are 36 of them!)  In the meantime, here's a peek at the top and bottom halves of Laura's beautiful creation, entitled "Begin Where You Are":
Thanks for a great class, Laura!

1 comment:

Laura Haviland said...

Oh Cynthia,
How you touch my heart,such a lovely blog posting.

I enjoyed spending time with you yesterday and will treasure our time at Bizzy B's forever.
You are a very caring person and so glad to have met you.
Looking forward to see you in April.
Thank you so much for your kindness.
You are such a sweetheart.
Big Hugs,Laura.xoxx