Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rules of the Road


I just got home from an early evening visit to my doctor - getting my booster shot for diphtheria, tetanus and polio, all of which I am hoping to avoid when I travel to France in just ONE MONTH'S TIME. Boy, that was a fast 10 years! Are you up to date on your immunizations?? I hope so. By the way, I love the fact that my doctor works until 8 p.m. on Tuesdays, except that tonight, that meant I had travel along with all the people that were headed downtown for (a) the baseball game, (b) the soccer game, or (c) the Black Eyed Peas concert.

However, after what I saw on the highway tonight driving back, I thought it might be a good idea for a little refresher course on what to do when a police car with their flashing lights and siren going comes up behind you. You might not notice them right away in your rear view mirror, you might not hear them over the sound of your radio (and you'd better not be talking on your cell phone!) but the rule is, when you do see them, get the heck out of the way!

Pull over to the right and let the police car pass you. Obviously, you need to be careful and check the lane on your right to make sure the way is safe but otherwise, don't take your time about it, don't expect the police car to go around you and don't, under any circumstances, think that the right thing to do is come to a complete stop in the left hand lane of a three lane highway with traffic moving at 100 km an hour, as some yahoo did tonight. What the heck he was thinking I do not know, because by that time, there were two police cars behind him and a couple of other cars as well, all of whom almost plowed into the back of this idiot. I'm sure if the police officers weren't already in a hurry to get somewhere (and no, I'm guessing it wasn't the donut shop), they would have had some harsh words and a major fine for this fool.

I always think to myself, what if that police car (or ambulance or fire truck) was trying to get somewhere to save the life of someone I knew and loved? Wouldn't I want them to have an unobstructed drive and get there as fast as they possibly could? Damn right, I would. Wherever they are going, there could be lives at stake. So please, people, give way for emergency vehicles and don't kid yourself into thinking you're entitled to do otherwise.

No comments: