Monday, June 9, 2014

Bad Habits

The theme for this month's Journal Junkies meeting at Bizzy B is "bad habits".  This assignment was a bit of a stretch for me as, in the words of Eubie Blake, "I don't have any bad habits. They may be bad habits for other people but they're all right for me!" ;)

I had a very slow moving Sunday yesterday but knew I needed to spend some time putting together a journal page for tonight's gathering.  To save time, I decided to use a gelli plate page I had made some time ago as a background.  As I had recently picked up a copy of Joanne Sharpe's book, The Art of Whimsical Letting", I also wanted to play with some lettering styles. I had gathered some great quotes about bad habits and decided to write them out on individual pieces of paper and add them to my page.

It wasn't until after I'd written out the heading that I realized I had used a grey marker instead of a black one. The letters didn't have enough oomph and the orange accents weren't showing up very well.

I went over the letters again with a black marker and liked the effect much better, especially after I used the grey to shadow the letters.
In adding the orange accents over top, I pushed down too hard on the Sharpie marker I was using and ended up with a little blob of orange ink on the capital "H" but, in the way happy accidents happen when making art,  I really liked the imperfectness of the result and the way it tied the title together with the background.  So I made another blob on the capital "B" as well!
Here's how the finished page looked:

I shall leave you with this thought:  "Bad habits are like a comfortable bed - easy to get into, but hard to get out of." (Anonymous)

No comments: