Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A New Type of Face

I found this tutorial on the Internet about painting faces, posted by an artist named Lynne Hoppe, whom I discovered thanks to a face she drew that Dina Wakley had pinned on Pinterest.  I was in a bit of a hurry but decided to give an abbreviated version of Lynne's techniques a try, using a book page and my Caran D'Ache Neocolor II pastels.  This was the result:

I was quite happy with this face.  I called her "Ariel, Fairy of the Forest".  When I first drew the shape of her face, it turned out that the stag's head in the upper right hand corner seemed to be sticking out of her head so I decided to turn her into a forest fairy.

I used pastels on book paper again today and ended up with this face:

I called her Roberta.  Yes, she has a retriever on her forehead but I like to think it looks a little like a barrette! ;)

Feeling very inspired by Lynne's tutorial.  One of these days, I'll have to give it a try when I have more time, using more of the supplies she recommends.


No comments: