Friday, January 21, 2011

Preparing to Hibernate

The forecast for this weekend is bitter cold, so I'm planning to stay indoors for the next two days, except for a brief jaunt out tomorrow morning for my Zumba class.  I refuse to let the cold keep me from exercising (she said convincingly) and I figure as long as I don't have to actually do anything aerobic outside, I'm more likely to stick to that statement.  I'll be able to park near the door and be inside to the gymnasium in no time, then back in the car to return to the underground garage of my apartment building, so my exposure to the cold air will be mercifully brief.

On these cold, cold days, I often have reason to remember my visits to warmer climates with much fondness and an urge to return, preferably sooner than later.  Lovely places such as the south of France, Tucson, Mexico.  Exactly 5 years ago this month, I spent four weeks in Australia and it was so wonderfully hot and sunny the entire time I was there.  Some days, it was over 40 degrees Celsius.  It was a little humid at times but there was air conditioning absolutely everywhere, so it wasn't ever a problem.  In fact, it was heaven!

Here are just some of the warm weather activities enjoyed in the land Down Under while we are shivering up here in the Northern Hemisphere:

Sailing in Sydney Harbour:

Viewing the rock formations known as the Twelve Apostles:

Sheep shearing - can you imagine how hot it was for the sheep to wear this amount of wool? A ewe was doing exactly that just 3 or 4 minutes before this picture was taken (yes, that's me underneath!):

and of course, enjoying the view on Bondi Beach:

No comments: