It seems especially quiet today with Gus and Beans gone. Katrina and Maggie both seem to be enjoying the extra attention I am giving them, I wonder what they think about the other 2 being gone. Maggie seems more relaxed and has come by to say hello more often than before, Katrina just seems glad to have the sink all to herself.
I've been puttering around today, doing this and that. I finished my altered book yesterday and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I decided to add some paint to the back cover, which was a little damaged. I painted on some pink acrylic paint (the colour coordinates with the print on the endpapers on the inside) and then scrubbed a lot of the paint off so the brown leather shows through. I really like the distressed look that resulted. So far, I'm undecided as to whether I should also add some paint to the front cover. I'd like to keep the design and title on the front and I'm concerned the paint might obscure that. Anybody got any advice on that?
I sewed in three signatures and spaced the holes so you can still see the picture on the spine. I also left a fair bit of extra thread on the spine, in case I should want to add some embellishments at a later date.
One of my classmates warned that it is hard to photograph an open book and I certainly agree! Here's my attempt to show you what the book looks like inside:
I incorporated both plain and decorated paper of various types - magazine pages, watercolour paper, scrapbook paper, graph paper, sheet music and wallpaper. I wanted to have as much blank paper to journal on as possible as well as add some colour and interest here and there with the other pages. Of course, as I start to use the journal, I will be adding photos, drawings, tickets stubs, etc. as time goes by. The book measures about 5 inches wide by 7.5 inches high, so it's small enough to be easily portable, it should fit nicely in my purse. I like the idea of journalling in a book I made myself, it seems much more personal.