Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Journalfest Magic

There were so many magical moments last week at Journalfest, it's hard to narrow it down to just a few to share here but I'll try.

It started with being reunited with my friends Irene and Laurie at the airport as we waited for the shuttle bus.  Irene and Laurie hadn't met before but immediately got along.  For me, it was like I hadn't spent any time apart from either of them, we just picked up where we had left off, laughing and talking about life in general and art in particular.
Me and Irene (taken by Laurie)
There were encouraging messages written on the doors of the bathroom stalls in the main building:

(that someone conscientiously removed on the last day).

There was finding the gun battery area of the fort one morning as I went for a walk one day before breakfast, just as the sun was coming up.  Overgrown and rusty, it was quite a beautiful spot - I could literally feel the history of the Fort surrounding me as I walked around that area (more on that in a later post).

I didn't find any heart-shaped stones on the beach this year but I did find this piece of seaweed arranged just so:

Then there was the buck who came by one day at breakfast.  I looked up just as his antlers went strolling past one set of windows.  I literally snatched my camera out of Irene's hands (she forgave me when she realized what was happening) and rushed to the next set of windows to take his picture:

Probably the most magical moment was the rainbow that appeared literally the moment we stepped off the bus at Fort Worden after a sometimes rainy ride from Seattle. What a greeting! How special of Teesha and Tracy to arrange that, they think of everything! :)

No comments: