Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Jewelry Architect

I was both delighted and dismayed to find my copy of Kate McKinnon's latest book, The Jewelry Architect, in my mailbox today.


Delighted, because I have been looking forward to this book for months now and I was not disappointed with the contents thereof.  The photographs (by Joe Hancock) are beautiful, the design of the book (edited by Jean Campbell) is compelling, the instructions (on a multitude of projects, including stringing, beadwork and wire and metalwork) are logical, easy to follow and include step-by-step diagrams and photos, and the various designs (several of which I've had the pleasure of seeing and touching in real life and as good as these photos are, they really don't do them justice) are all mouthwatering - they make you want to rush to your bead stash and start putting things together!

Dismayed, because my clearly dimwitted postal person decided that it would be a good idea to bend the padded envelope in which the book was packaged and shove it into my mailbox, which measures maybe 5 inches square.  As a result, I now have a damaged copy of Kate's book that doesn't lie flat and has a big bend all the way through it about 2 inches from the spine. 


Luckily, the bending process didn't damage the DVD that is included with the book and stored on the inside back cover.  (Did I mention that the book comes with an instructional DVD?? How cool is that?)  No doubt it will flatten out after some time spent pressed underneath my barely liftable 2,500 page copy of the Random House Dictionary but the back cover is permanently creased. We are not amused. You can be sure I will be visiting my nearest Canada Post location first thing tomorrow to lodge my complaint. 

If you'd like your own copy of this book, you can find it here: amazon.ca. I would suggest to you that no beading library is complete without this volume.

P.S.  You can also visit Kate's website by clicking here: Kate McKinnon, selecting "Journal" from the menu on her opening page and then looking under "Beadwork Instructions" in the top right of the sidebar on the newly opened page) for free instructions on how to make 2 of her designs, the Groovy Cuff and The Corset Stitch. She promises to upload more instructions and videos in the days to come, so keep watching that space!

1 comment:

kate mckinnon said...

Rats! I think I should send you another copy. Don't you?
I'm glad you like it, though, despite the bending.