Sunday, June 14, 2009

Kiss This Guy


If you read the Beadfx blog today, you'll know dragonjools talks about a website known as http://kissthisguy.com/. Dwyn told me about this site on Thursday night when I was at the store making use of the lampwork studio but I forgot to check it out by the time I got home 3 hours later, so I'm glad she reminded me about it via this blog posting.

It's all about misheard lyrics. You know how it goes - you're out with a friend, probably driving in a car or sitting out on the deck, a song comes on the radio and you both start singing along, only they come out with some really weird lyrics that aren't anywhere close to what the artist is actually singing and next thing you know, you're wiping the tears out of your eyes from laughing so hard.

The name of the site apparently comes from people mishearing the lyrics to the Jimi Hendrix song, Purple Haze - "'scuse me while I kiss the sky" (whatever that means) is misheard as "'scuse me while I kiss this guy".

One of my favourite examples of this phenomenon is the Madonna song, La Isla Bonita. The opening line is "Last night I dreamt of San Pedro". I heard a DJ on the radio once describe how that line always sounded like "Last night I dreamt of some bagels" and ever since then, I can't hear anything but the bagel reference when I hear that song. :)

No comments: