Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back in the World

I consider it the sign of a good vacation if you can go away and forget your day to day life and lose track of what's going on in the rest of the world. Of course, when your vacation is over and you're back in the regular routine (always scary how fast you fall back into the old patterns), it takes a few days to catch up on what went on while you were away, since the globe kept turning and things were happening that you may or may not need to be aware of.

Imagine my shock when I got in my car the day after returning from the Bead and Button show, pushed my preset button and there was some other music playing on one of my favourite radio stations. Who knew they were going to change their format six days ago, while I was out of town??? I was sure someone had been in my car and reset the buttons, until I realized it was the same station, just different music (and not necessarily good music, if you know what I'm saying).

Before yesterday, I'd never heard of Web 2.o but apparently, someone has been counting the number of words in the English language and this is number one million. Hmm. Might have missed that if I was on vacation this week but gee, don't think it would have mattered. No one I know personally has ever used that word/phrase in a sentence in my presence, including my computer geek friends (love you guys!), even though it was coined back in 2005, so how exactly does it get to be that common that it gets added to some online dictionary?

Before two days ago, I didn't know what a medical isotope was or that Canada was the 3rd largest producer of same. I've now Googled the issue and realized it's something to do with chemistry, which I did not take in high school and 30 some years later, I seem to be doing just fine without knowing exactly what is a neutron or a proton, so I'm going to let that one go as well (although I do hope that everyone that needs a scan, gets one and is not traumatized by the lack of this formerly unheard of whatchamacallit).

Before two weeks ago, I had never heard of Kate and John and their 8 (8!) kids and now I've heard way too much about them and their marital problems.

Sometimes being out of touch with the news of the world is not such a bad thing, if you ask me.

No comments: