Thursday, October 14, 2010

Silver Lining

I've been noticing that since my car accident 3+ weeks ago, my brain doesn't seem to be functioning at 100% capacity.  I'm not quite sure how to describe it, except to say that it feels as if I am slightly distracted or somehow not firing on all cylinders, especially when I'm tired.  It's not so bad that I shouldn't be operating heavy equipment or anything like that, it's just hard to concentrate at work at times and I seem to get less done in the course of the day than I did before the accident.  Hopefully this is a temporary condition (as opposed to the onset of early senility), that my brain is still recovering from the trauma of the event just as my body is and just needs a more little time in a not quite full steam ahead mode to rejuvenate itself.

In the meantime, I find myself both amused and annoyed to have experiences like this:

I was disappointed to realize last week that my new laptop doesn't have a built-in card reader.  This means I have to either connect my camera to the laptop by way of a cable in order to download photos or buy an external card reader to attach to the laptop.  Using the cable is easy enough, except the one I have is already attached to the CPU for my desktop, which is situated under my desk and facing the wall, so it's hard to reach the spot to plug it in (especially now, when kneeling on my bruised knees is still slightly uncomfortable), so I generally prefer to leave the cable plugged in all the time and just connect the camera as required.

So today after work I headed over to Best Buy to buy an external card reader, figuring it would be a handy gadget to have for travelling anyway.  I picked two types off the rack and walked over to look at my model of laptop to see which one would be best, as the card readers each had a different configuration as far as the plug-in portion was concerned.  Imagine my surprise (and chagrin) when I discovered that my new laptop model actually does have a card reader, it's just located in a different spot than it was on my previous laptop!!!  As Homer Simpson would say, "d'oh!!"


The silver lining to this story is that I also noticed that the laptop was on sale, a full $100 cheaper than it had been last week. Luckily, I still had my receipt in my purse so I was able to amble on over to the customer service desk and get my refund right away.

In the end, it's all good.  :)

1 comment:

kate mckinnon said...

I had my MacBook for a year before I noticed my card reader.