Monday, October 25, 2010

Did You Vote?



Municipal election day here in Ontario.  I was one of those undecideds, making my decision on the way to the polling station. I debated whether I would vote at all but I do feel strongly that we should exercise our democratic right to vote, too many people in the world don't have the opportunity to do so at all, not to mention all of our suffragette sisters in days gone by that fought hard to get women the vote.  But I really didn't have a good reason not to vote (other than the lack of a strong candidate to support), as I was home half an hour before the polls closed, there was no lineup and best of all, the polling station was right downstairs in my building!!! They can't make it any easier than that.  (If only they were serving dinner, that would have been ideal!)

But let's face it, we didn't have too much to choose from here in Toronto.  The guy with experience was vague on his plans and the mouthy guy with lots of plans has a questionable past and no experience, and the 3rd guy doesn't think there is anything wrong with the way things are right now, so how do you pick?

I was actually totally shocked to see that there were 40 candidates in the mayoral race.  Only 4 of them have been making any noise and one of them dropped out last week.  But oh Lord, the noise.  I'm always so glad when campaigns are over so we don't have to be inundated with all the TV and radio ads any more and those damn signs can come down off the lawns - enough with the audio and visual pollution already!

We'll see how it goes. The polls have just closed, now we wait to see who comes out on top.  Heaven help us all.

No comments: