Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Flower Power

I'm having dinner with two of my craft monkey friends tonight, Diane and Lorraine. Lorraine is just back from two weeks in Spain, including a full week in Barcelona, the lucky girl. Diane recently had a trip to the southern U.S., including Nashville, and since she got back, she and I have taken a couple of classes together. So the three of us are getting together to swap stories and do a little show and tell with our various souvenirs and creations. We're meeting up at Diane's house and then heading to the Danforth for a meal. I haven't been there in ages, I'm hoping we get to enjoy a little Greek cuisine but mostly, I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about what the girls have been up to.


One of the things I plan on showing them are these cool little fabric flowers Donna Downey taught us how to make in the 2nd class I took with her. They are so quick and easy to make (I will share the directions in an upcoming post) and I think they look quite pretty. So far, I've been experimenting with different patterns and types of fabric and then hunting through my button collection to see what I can find to use for the centre of the flowers.


The best part is, you don't even have to sew the buttons on. Being a true craft monkey, I've developed quite a collection of of adhesives so a little squirt of Rangers' Glossy or Matte Accents (both of which dry clear) and presto, the button is instantly attached to the flower (although in the case of the pink flower, I did want thread to show on the centre of the button so I sewed it first and then glued it on for good measure).


Donna told us we could even make them out of paper towels and then dip them in paint or ink and decorate them that way. Sure enough, she was right! Once I decide what medium I want to use to colour those ones, I'll share photos of the paper towel version. In the meantime, here's a picture of the one that I made during Donna's class and stuck on one of my journal pages:

No comments: