Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Vintage Birthday

My mom turned 75 a couple of months ago.  Due to scheduling conflicts and inclement weather, we had to postpone her birthday celebration until last weekend, when I finally had a chance to give her the card I had made for her (sure, I could have mailed it but it was already attached to the present!).

First I collaged a collection of vintage papers on a blank card (one of the scraps already had circles stamped on it):
then added a little paint and Distress Inks to give them a distressed, aged look.
The inside of the card got the same treatment with punchinella, paint and ink (see bottom photo). Then I added ribbon, a fabric trim of button shapes, an old photo of a young woman from a collection called "Salvage Stickers" by Tim Holtz. I also stencilled the number 75 on the front in a dark colour and adhered the cardboard punchouts from the numbers themselves to create a shadow effect.
The card reads "75 isn't old...it's vintage!"
The older I get, the more I believe this to be true.  :)

No comments: