Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday at Journalfest

Today I'm taking a class taught by Lisa Engelbrecht called "Letterista Style Lettering".

The class description is as follows: 

"What does it mean to write in Letterista style? Well, it’s a sweet mash up of traditional calligraphy gone wild, modern takes and innovations on old styles of lettering and writing !

I’ve coined the term Letterista style to describe my take on calligraphy-rebellious, different and definitely not by the rules. ( Although I bow to the calligraphy gods )

What will happen when we open up to modifications of several styles of lettering-Roman to Gothic to Script? ( Don't worry-no calligraphy experience needed here!)super cool new approaches to title and text lettering for your journal.

Let’s organically explore all these options together for a jam packed day. Rebellious and chaotic, spilling our brilliant and innermost thoughts on the page, always a lot of fun.

Explorers wanted... letterers wanted...artists wanted!"

I'm taking this class with my friend Irene, whom I met for the first time last year. I'm looking forward to having a day with her, she is such a talented artist, I learned a lot last year just by sitting beside her.
Me and Irene JF 2010

I used to do my own version of calligraphy when I was younger.  Mostly I just made fancy letters with a calligraphy pen, addressed wedding invitations for friends, that sort of thing.  Do you think I could find that pen as I was packing for this trip? Not a chance.  Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to learning Lisa's style of decorative penmanship.

1 comment:

kate mckinnon said...

I'm like a stupid hamster; I keep getting taken in by these auto-posts, thinking you are REALLY posting.
Silly me!