Monday, March 21, 2011

The DeClutter Project Report - Week 12

Once again, I have to admit that very little decluttering got done this past week.  I am finding it really hard to actually get motivated to do anything, especially if I only have one day on the weekend to hang out and do whatever I want.  On those days, I am reluctant to spend my time cleaning and/or organizing, there are so many other things to do with my time that are much more fun and don't actually involve so much...work.

I did spend some time reorganizng some of my craft supplies yesterday, which made a difference and helped clear a lot of clutter off my work space.  I also spent some time decluttering my office/guest bedroom one night last week, after getting a call late one afternoon asking if I could take in a pregnant cat that had just been found that day.  Of course, I couldn't say no.  I grabbed a large cardboard box that had been put out for recycling at work and rushed home to make a "nest".  I cut a hole in the side of the box, high enough that young kittens couldn't climb out but low enough not to pose too much of a challenge for the momma cat to get in and out.  I made a flap for the top of the box so the cat thinks it's a roof when it's down but also I can lift it up to have a better view of what's going on inside the box, if needed.  I layered newspaper on the bottom and soft, old towels on top. I brought in a litter box and set it up.  I cleared all my miscellaneous piles of sorted but not yet filed papers off the bed (I know, I know, I should have filed them but I was thinking the new cat would be arriving shortly and I didn't have time - I will do that this week).  I put out food and water.  I looked up stuff about birthing kittens on the Internet and tried not to panic.  I talked to Katrina and explained what would be happening and reassured her that she would still be my number one girl.  All was in readiness.

Then I got the call telling me that they had found another home for the stray cat.  Bummer.  But they keep telling me that kitten season is just beginning, so no doubt (sadly) there will be another abandoned momma cat looking for a safe place to have her kittens and when that time comes, I'll be ready.  In the meantime, I have a tidier office/guest bedroom and a pile of filing to do.

I was concerned about how Katrina might react to the idea of another cat in my apartment but I know now I needn't have worried.  As you can see from this photo, in spite of my best efforts to keep the door closed and her out of the room, Katrina somehow snuck in there when I wasn't looking and left her own welcoming present for the new arrival.  I think she'll handle things just fine, don't you?

No comments: