Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ahoy, Matey!

You may not have realized, but today is National "Talk Like a Pirate Day" in the U.S. (funny how we don't have these celebrations in Canada, eh?)
Many thanks to Sailorgirl for letting me and her blog readers in on this fact yesterday, so we'd have lots of time to get ready. http://sailorgirljewelry.blogspot.com/2009/09/aye-ye-scurvy-dog.html

If you'd like to learn how to talk like a pirate (arrrh!), you can check out the above link to Catherine's site and follow the link in her posting to the translation page. You can then pick a phrase you'd like to have tranlated. For example, "pardon me, sir" becomes "avast, matey!" and if one were to ask, "where is a fine hotel?" as one does when travelling, you would learn that a pirate would be more likely to say, "Aye, ye scurvy dog! Whar be the nearest fleabag inn?"

There is, of course, an official site to celebrate this day, you can find that here:

As it turns out, I have the perfect skull and cross bones charm for today's festivities, which I picked up in Mexico earlier this year. I'd show it to you, if only my bead stash wasn't such a complete disaster area (the cold weather approaches, long weekends indoors will result, the stash will be sorted...eventually) so instead, I shall treat you to this photo of my favourite pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow. Eyeliner on a man never looked so good!

No comments: