Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fan Expo Toronto 2009

Are you a fantasy, science fiction, anime and/or comic book geek? Let me make it simple for you - are you wearing a Star Trek or action figure uniform while you're reading this? If so, the answer is a resounding yes.

If so, you might be interested to know that this weekend is the Fan Expo in Toronto. I don't know much about these events, waht they do there. I have visions of a bunch of people hanging around, discussing whether Superman or Batman would win a fight. I know there was something similar in Montreal a couple of weekends ago, the Worldcon science fiction show, because a photographer named Kyle Cassidy (whose blog I read now and again, mostly because he likes to post pictures of his cat Roswell, with whom he is writing a cookbook. I kid you not, would I make this stuff up??) attended that show and took photos of a number of the fans, some of whom were dressed in costume. Here's the link to one of his blog postings with a few sample shots: http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/540628.html or you can check out the full set of photos on Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7725107@N07/sets/72157622013791778/

I always thought science fiction fans would be predominantly male but this does not appear to be the case, judging by the number of women Kyle photographed. Also, very few of them are in costume, which is probably a good thing. I find the idea of anyone spending large quantities of their free time dressed as Darth Vader somewhat alarming.

I really don't know much about the science fiction or fantasy genre. My comic book experience is pretty much limited to Archie and Richie Rich from way back when, before they were called "graphic novels." A friend of mine very kindly lent me the graphic novel prequel to the latest Star Trek movie, it's called "Star Trek Countdown". It's very cool, with glossy pages and very detailed drawings, and helps to explain the background of the movie which I find quite interesting, but in the end, I still find myself wondering why anyone would pay $22.95 for a 100 page comic book.

Spock himself, a.k.a. Leonard Nimoy, will be at the Fax Expo this weekend. If you are interested in attending, you can get the details here: http://www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo/

Or, if you're interested in a different type of fantasy genre, I hear they are selling tickets to the Bill Clinton appearance tomorrow at the CNE for only $5.00! ;)

P.S. Speaking of Star Trek, Max's Tribble reappeared tonight. It's been missing for a couple of weeks now, we found it tonight in the hall closet. I couldn't figure out why he was sitting in front of the open closet door, waiting patiently and watching something inside; I was afraid he had found some sort of bug but it turns out, he could see the tribble. He's been chasing it around ever since I pulled it out and I think he's even learned to play fetch, he has brought it to me several times for me to throw it for him! Such a clever boy. Here he is, looking nonchalant about the whole thing, although he's really just waiting for the Tribble to make the first move so he can pounce.

No comments: