Friday, August 7, 2009

Danke Schoen, Mr. Hughes


Writer/director John Hughes died suddenly yesterday at the too young age of 59. I've been having 1980's flashbacks ever since, primarily because John Hughes is the guy who brought us all those iconic teen movies back then, like "The Breakfast Club" (described as a "J.D. Salingeresque rebellion against conformity"), "Sixteen Candles", "Pretty in Pink" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (and don't ask me to pick which one of those 4 I liked the best, because I can't decide!)


He also wrote "Home Alone", "National Lampoon's Vacation" and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", to name just a few more from his extensive list of credits. They are all great movies and ones you can watch over and over and still find them amusing and entertaining, because the stories are so well written but also because of the memorable characters.


I loved Annie Potts as Iona in Pretty in Pink - who can forget those costumes, especially the combinatiof beehive hairdo, pink dress and fuzzy yellow slippers?




I first developed a crush on James Spader in that movie as well, even though his character wasn't very nice. Of course, that crush developed into full on adoration and eternal love after 5 fabulous seasons of "Boston Legal", when he proved that he wasn't just a pretty face 30 years ago, he's also a seriously talented actor.




I also thought the guy who played Jake Ryan in Sixteen Candles was seriously cute and was going to look him up on the Internet, until I read this hilarious blog about why it might not be a good idea to find out whatever happened to so and so?




So I'm just going to remember Jake fondly and move on.




Matthew Broderick will always BE Ferris Bueller for me, no matter what he does on Broadway.





This photo is the best, I laughed out loud when I saw it online today - how brilliant was this scene with total geek Anthony Michael Hall asleep in his head gear and drunken pretty girl wondering how a chunk of her hair got cut off? Hilarious!

Danke Schoen, John Hughes - you leave an impressive legacy for an angst-ridden teenage generation who are still learning to embrace their inner geekiness!

No comments: