Monday, May 11, 2009

Antique Market Finds

As promised, here are a few photos of some of the treasures I bought at the outdoor antique market on Saturday. I was tempted by the oh so tacky tiger/jaguar/leopard but managed to restrain myself.

I did find this lovely bracelet, which I shall attempt to copy at some point in the future but in the meantime, will enjoy wearing on my wrist, telling myself the beads are no doubt vintage and very rare:




It jingles very nicely on my wrist as I twist it about, it's colourful enough to go with absolutely everything and the strands are stretchy so it's easy to slip off and on.


I also bought a whole bunch of buttons and I was quite excited about the price. Each card in the photo was $1, which in one case was 3 lovely jet buttons and in another case was fifteen equally impressive metal buttons. This, to me, was quite a find, given that you usually pay at least $1.00 per for vintage buttons at a bead show. I probably should have bought all of them and then resold them at the upcoming TBS Garage Sale to fund my trip to Milwaukee and/or pay off my vet bill. Oh well, you know what they say - hindsight is 20/20.

The woman that sold me these buttons had dozens of these cards, all of which she made, decorated and attached the buttons to herself. Seems like a lot of work for $1.00 to me but it must be a labour of love and they certainly look lovely. She also sells vintage ktichen utensils and linens, while her husband has a whole bunch of vintage tools and keys and hardware stuff in the other half of their booth. I discussed different hammer heads with him on Saturday.

I picked up a couple more insulators, a pretty turquoise one and a neat white/clear one that looks a little bit like a top hat (2nd from the left and far right in the photo):










My funnest purchase was this salt and pepper set. Have you ever seen such a glamourous pair of fish? I certainly have not. Quite a deal for only $5!!




No comments: