Saturday, March 28, 2009

Beading in the Dark

I have just finished participating in Earth Hour 2009, joining millions of people around the world turning off their lights for one hour, between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m., to raise awareness of global warming.


I must admit, I hadn't really planned ahead or thought through what I would do with myself during this hour of being home alone, sitting in the dark with the soft lighting provided by my one flashlight and the one candle I could find at 8:25 p.m. It was a little too dark to actually bead, although I probably could have done some wire crochet if I'd gotten everything gathered together in advance.


In the end, I spent the time drafting this blog on paper, then laid in bed and read for the rest of the time.


I was disappointed to look out the window and not be able to note any difference in my normal evening view. Both the plaza and the apartment building across the street from my building appeared to be operating as usual, with most of the apartments well lit. That's a shame. Too bad someone at the local power station couldn't just flick a switch for an hour and turn everyone's hydro off...








Like the insulators the other day, it was only as I was taking a picture of the candle in the mason jar (where I'd tucked it to keep it safe for the cats, as I don't like having burning candles near them since the time Max swished his tail through the flame of one as he walked past it on the coffee table. He didn't seem to notice but I could smell burning hair!), that I realized it was imprinted with the words "Canadian Jewel, Made in Canada". Wonder if it was made by the same glass company that made the insulators???


I did take this cool photo of Max by flashlight, as he was sitting on the dining room table in the midst of my bead stash.



No comments: