Sunday, August 25, 2013

Scenes from a Tennis Tournament

Our annual cottage tennis tournament, affectionately known as "Wimpleton" was this weekend. The weather was perfect - sunny and warm (although hot on the court, where there is no shade after 10 a.m., especially when you're chasing after little yellow balls!) and no wind (good for hitting balls, not so good for keeping cool).

I filled in as a sub and played two mixed doubles matches, which was exciting, since I haven't been able to compete since I hurt my back 8 years ago (the required minimum of three matches, sometimes all on one day, would be too much).  We play 12 games for each match, 6 with one partner and then we switch partners.  Here I am with Saturday's partners, Zen and Paul:

Here I am with Sunday's teammates, Terry and Tim (Cooper the dog did not get to play, much to his dismay):

Alas, none of my partners made it to the semi-finals, in spite of my best efforts to assist them.

At the end of the first day, cottage neighbours Dave and Leanne hosted a potluck cocktail party.  Everyone got cleaned up, brings food, had a few drinks and relaxed while hashing over the great serves, missed shots and intense matchups that happened during the day, while speculating on the next day's finals.


A few of us stayed on later, admired the sunset and had a singsong out on the deck.


It was the perfect way to end a perfect day.

No comments: