Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Flash Mob

You know how it is sometimes when you hear a word you haven't heard before and next thing you know, you hear it everywhere you go? That seems to be the case this week with "flash mob".  Until I saw last week's episode of "Modern Family", I didn't know what a flash mob was, had never heard the expression before. 

What is a flash mob, you ask? According to Wikipedia, it's a "large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and pointless act for a brief time, and then disperse. The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via telecommunications, social media, or viral emails. The term is generally not applied to events organized by public relations firms, protests, and publicity stunts."

Here's the scene from Modern Family, as filmed by someone was present for the actual filming (I can't link you to any of the actual ABC footage as apparently we're not allowed to see that stuff over the border here in Canada - geez): 



According to the story line on Modern Family, the character Mitch went online to find out the choreography, then practised it at work before showing up at the mall to take part in the actual dance.  He does it as a demonstration of his love for his life partner, Cameron, who isn't impressed (and is embarrassed not to know the moves), claiming Mitch "cheated on him with choreography", because he danced without him.  Not sure I understand that logic but it's a hilarious episode, nonetheless!

Alternatively, you may enjoy this video of a flash mob singing the Hallelujah Chorus at a food court:


Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go find out about upcoming flash mobs taking place here in To!!  ;)

1 comment:

Marcia DeCoster said...

I only heard the term this week when someone mailed me the link to the food court singing. Makes me wonder where I've been since if you look at you tube it's been going on for some time....