Monday, October 26, 2009

The Serafina Pendant


This past Friday night was Art a la Mode, a dinner and silent auction event to raise money for the Lindsay Art Gallery. This year, I donated the freeform bead embroidered pendant that I made after taking Sherry Serafini's class at the Bead & Button show in Milwaukee in June (which I finally finished last weekend!)


Here's are some photos of the pendant, which I call "Serafina" in Sherry's honour. Because, let's face it, it's her design, it's just my interpretation thereof. She put the kit together, picked all the beads, made the sample, included the photos for us to follow in the instruction booklet, all of which made it quite easy for me to give away this pendant. I quite like the design but it's not mine, so hopefully the new owner will enjoy wearing it as much as I enjoyed making it and together we raised some money for the gallery, so it's all good.


I've included some photos to show what the piece looked like after all the beads were sewn on, both front and back, before I cut it down to size and added the edging and the Ultrasuede backing. The last two photos show the finished pendant, strung on a spiral rope with a sterling silver clasp.

Speaking of Sherry, my friend Colleen is off to New York this week on a Beadventure tour with Sherry. It's sounds like it will be a great trip - 5 days of museums visits and shopping for beading supplies and workshop sessions to design a bead-embroidered cuff. Have fun, Colleen! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

No comments: