Sunday, April 1, 2012

Making Bookmarks

I've started making my own bookmarks for the books I'm reading.  It started with "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin.  I had watched a video on YouTube of Tim Holtz demonstrating a technique and tried it out, then wondered what to do with the tag.  I added the lettering and a crown stencil and voila, a bookmark.


The black smudge was the result of me playing around with some ink, which absorbed instantly and wouldn't spread (live and learn). I would have turned it into a crow, which are mentioned often in the book, they are used to carry messages back and forth, but it looked more like a bat, which I don't believe are mentioned at all in the book.  Ah well, c'est la vie!  When it comes to art, you don't always know how your creations are going to turn out.  If I squint, I can pretend it's a crow in flight. :)

I'll be reading volume 2 of that series next, "Clash of Kings", I'll need to make a new bookmark for that one.  But first, I am just starting Stephen King's "11/22/63" which revolves around JFK's assassination.  Here's what the tag/bookmark that I made today for that volume looks like:


Haven't read a Stephen King novel in quite some time, I am really looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful bookmarks will also be a record of what you have read.......you could make them into a tag booklet!